Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Flower wallhanging

Yesterday I worked on the flower wallhanging that I designed in EQ7 last week.  DSC03315

I wanted the striped fabric to match up at the corners.  I had to make sure the border pieces were sewed together correctly to achieve this.

I did this by laying out the stripe border pieces first, then putting the inner black border pieces RST [right sides together] on top of them.  The stripe border pieces are cut the full length of the fabric.  The black border pieces are cut from the width of the fabric.  I cut five, then sewed them end to end and cut the length into four sections.  This gave me enough length to be able to adjust the border sections to line up the corners as I wanted.

I had marked the center of each border section, but you can see that I didn’t match that center to the center of the sides of the quilt top.

The extra length allowed me to find the look I was going for.

Next, I need to mark the centers of the borders as I have them now, mark the starting and  stopping points on the back of the quilt top, and sew on the borders. 

 

Back to work!

4 comments:

  1. Eileen, This is beautiful...love it. Great job, great design, great explaination. The borders really make this outstanding. Question....where did you get the flower photos and are they fused and stitched down?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Debbie. The flowers are a panel from Camelot Cottons [I'll post a link in a new blog post--it doesn't seem to work here]. There are 2 flowers to a width, I think they're from 2 different bolts. I'll be free motion quilting the flowers, maybe stipple the background, not sure yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful wallhanging! I recently bought the panels but only fat quarters of the other fabrics and haven't decided what to do with it. Hmmmm might have to search for more as I love what you did. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Connie. Have fun with it. It's so much fun to work with pretty fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and I will get back to you as soon as I can.